Dental implants are a treatment used to replace missing teeth. Treatment involves the use of small titanium posts that are surgically placed within your jawbone. During your recovery period, your bone gradually fuses to the implanted posts called osseointegration. This process stabilizes the posts in your jaw so that they can provide secure support for your new teeth.
IMPLANTS FOR ALL NEEDS
Dental implants are incredibly versatile. There are implants to meet just about every tooth replacement need. Types of dental implants include:
• Single tooth: Used to replace an individual tooth, this treatment uses one post to support one crown. You may have individual implants in different areas of your mouth where you are missing a single tooth, or you may have single tooth implants side by side.
• Multiple teeth: Also called an implant supported bridge, this treatment is used to replace two or more consecutive missing teeth, providing an alternative to traditional bridges and partial dentures.
• Full arch restorations: A full arch restoration replaces a whole arch of teeth. 6 to 8 posts are typically used. However, if you are missing too much bone mass, you may be a candidate for a treatment that helps to avoid the need for a bone graft. Called the All on four treatment concept, this treatment supports your full arch of replacement teeth with only four posts.
Getting your dental implants requires surgery, which is done under a local anesthetic and sedation. We begin by making incisions in your gums. These incisions provide access to your jawbone. Holes are drilled into the bone, and the implant posts are placed directly inside. After your gums have been sutured, temporary teeth are set into place. After you have fully healed, a process that can take several weeks to several months, your final restorations are created and placed.
BENEFITS OF DENTAL IMPLANTS
Dental implants provide several benefits.
• Your new teeth look, function, and even feel like natural teeth.
• The restorations are secured into place on the posts with small screws. The will not wiggle around, come loose, or fall out.
• Implants are much more comfortable. Your teeth are supported by the implant posts instead of your gums or adjacent teeth.
• The posts provide stimulation for your jawbone, just like your natural teeth. This restoration of stimulation helps to put an end to, and stop, bone loss in your jaw. No other tooth replacement option can provide this benefit.
ARE THERE ANY DRAWBACKS
Even with several incredible benefits, there are still a few drawbacks to treatment with dental implants.
• You need to undergo surgery.
• Certain medical conditions and lifestyle habits can interfere with treatment as well as with healing.
• Recovery can take several months.
• If you have lost too much bone mass, you may need to undergo a bone graft procedure first. This adds surgery, additional recovery time, and additional costs.
• Implants are often more expensive than other treatments.
With dental implants, we can restore the functions of your missing teeth and the quality of your smile while also helping to protect the health and shape of your jawbone. For more information, and to find out if dental implants are right for you, call Palisade Family Dental at (703) 404-9111 today.